Sometimes I take other people's recipes and make them vegan. This is one of those instances. Adapted from Modern Honey.
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons of oil (I used olive)
- 1/2 lb. TVP chunks, hydrated (try these)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 package of Chao Tomato Cayenne cheese slices (or your favorite vegan cheese)
- pico de gallo (optional)
Chipotle Cream Ingredients (optional):
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo or sour cream
- 2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, diced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- If desired, make the chipotle cream sauce ahead of time by mixing together sour cream or mayo, chipotle peppers, and lime juice in a small bowl. (Honestly, I don't think the sauce is necessary but it's your call. Next time I'll probably just top with pico).
- Heat large skillet over medium-low heat. Warm up the oil and add the onion, poblano and sweet potatoes. Put a lid on it and cook for about 15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and caramelized. Stir occasionally; season with salt, pepper, cumin and garlic powder..
- Add the TVP into the pan and allow the mixture to cook for another 2-3 minutes. Season more to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and bake the tortillas for approximately 2 minutes on one side. Flip and lay a slice of Chao cheese on top, allowing the tortilla to bake for another 2-3 minutes until cheese is melty.
- Remove tortillas from the oven and scoop chick'n poblano sweet potato mixture into each. Top with pico de gallo or a drizzle of chipotle cream sauce if desired.