So at some point last year I started making tacos every Tuesday. I don't really know how or why but it's a tradition that stuck. Coming into 2015 I decided to up the ante and challenge myself to make 52 weeks of tacos, without repeating a recipe. Given that I'm back to eating a primarily pescetarian diet that heightens the challenge. Here's what I made in January + a recipe.
- Week 1: January 6 - Super veggie cabbage and black bean tacos with cheese
- Week 2: January 13 - Crispy tofu with a honey sriracha glaze and sauteed bok choy tacos
- Week 3: January 20 - Almond coconut encrusted salmon with spicy mayo tacos (NOT VEGAN)
- Week 4: January 27 - Sunflower meat tacos with roasted red peppers & black bean sauce (pictured)
Sunflower Meat for Tacos
- 1 cup of raw sunflower seeds, soaked for 2-8 hours
- 2 cloves of raw garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Drain the sunflower seeds and retain a little bit (1/3 cup) of the liquid.
- Place the sunflower seeds, garlic and oil in a food processor and pulse until the ingredients start to break up. Add some of the leftover liquid if need be.
- Add the chili powder, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper and continue to pulse until a crumbly mixture forms.
Spoon into taco shells with whatever fix-ins float your boat and enjoy. Makes enough meat to fill about 8 six-inch corn tortillas.