This is a big winner in my book. Based off the Moni Meals recipe, I could gladly eat this week after week by changing up the veggies involved. Here's how I put it together:
- can of diced tomatoes (mine had green chiles)
- handful of sliced mushrooms
- bunch of chives, sliced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups of quinoa
- 2 cups water or stock
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup fat free ricotta
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Toss in the shallots, mushrooms, chives, and garlic. Cover and cook for a minute or two before adding in the tomatoes. Sprinkle with some S&P, stir, cover and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add the quinoa into the veggie mix and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the grains start to turn opaque. Turn the oven on and preheat it to 350 degrees F.
- Add 2 cups water (or stock) and season. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to medium low and let it simmer 15-20 minutes or until most liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and let the cooked quinoa stand for 5 minutes.
- Coat 13×9 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Whisk the eggs, milk and ricotta in large bowl and slowly fold in the cooked quinoa and shredded cheese. The cheese will begin to melt and the whole thing will look a bit soupy.
- Transfer to the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the top with some additional shredded cheese. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.
Serves 6. Reheats nicely.