I l-u-v horchata so I decided to make it myself. Cinnamon-y, sweet rice milk of sorts. I think it was moderately successful for my very first attempt. Note to self: get a better sieve. Enjoy this one before the cold weather sets in. I promise you can still drink white after Labor Day.
From the Hip Girl's Guide to Homemaking.
- 2 cups uncooked rice (brown or white)
- 6 cups water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/3 cup of sweetener (sugar, agave)
- In a bowl or pitcher, combine the cinnamon sticks, rice and 3 cups of water. Allow this to sit for at least 12 hours (or overnight).
- Pour the rice mixture plus 3 cups of water into a blender or food processor and blend until you have a fine meal (no chunks!).
- Using a fine sieve, strain the liquid through into a pitcher.
- Add the sweetener and a few tablespoons of the leftover rice meal and stir until dissolved.
Chill it and serve with lots of ice. Ahhhhh, refreshing. You can store the pitcher in the fridge for a few days and keep on enjoying.